Saturday, February 11, 2012

Our Surprise Puppy...well sorta

For those of you that know me well know very well that since our wedding day the thing I wanted most in the world was a dog. I would spend countless hours searching craigslist for that special pooch. After 1.5 years of begging Steve, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands.

Last week I found a post on craigslist for a Chocolate Labrador. I emailed the owner to find out more about her. After literally over 100 emails, I decided Emily was the perfect fit for us.

She is 15 months old, potty trained, house trained, AKC, she was free, Up to date on all her shots, and knows her basic commands. After my personal decision to take Emily home, I had to figure out what I was going to do to get Steve to allow it. I knew I couldn't try and convince him and tell him what was going on because he would have gotten upset. So after brainstorming ideas with my mom, I decided Emily would be an early Valentines Day present for Steve. On Wednesday after work I ran up to Frederick and got all the basics at petsmart.  Although extremely fun, I was SO nervious Steve was going to refuse the dog. My stomach was doing back flips while my shopping cart got fuller and fuller. After spending my birthday money, I took the 45 minute drive to Ranson, WV to pick up Steve's Valentines Day surprise. The family that was giving her to me was amazing. They were so sweet and really wanted to make sure Emily went to the best home. After talking with them for about a half hour and ensuring them how well loved she would be, Emily and I ventured home. The ride home was very interesting to say the least. It was snowing,  the roads were starting to freeze and I had a nervous 55 pound chocolate labrador on my lap...not a very safe combination. After a very long drive we were finally home. Within the first few minutes of sniffing around the apartment, I could tell Emily woudl adjust beautifully to her new home. I was glad we got home when we did because it gave us a few hours to get settled and prepare Emily (and myself) for her big debut.

FINALLY, around 11:30 Steve walked through the door and saw this
The first thing out of Steve's mouth was, "why is there a labrador in our house". I replied, "because she's our new dog". He then started telling me how we weren't going to keep her. I anticipated this and knew I needed to prepare a diversion. As he started lecturing I handed him his Valentine's Day gift.



Steve read the card and opened the present while glancing down at a pateient emily, politely waiting for some type of acknowledgelement.  I swear she knew what was going on because she was being extra cute. After just a few glances, a smile slowly creeped up on Steve's face. it was the "I can no longer pretend seh isn't adorable" smile. Steve's attituted went from, "we're not keeping the dog" to "she is going to be your dog, i'm not doing anything" which i gladly agreed to. By the end up the night Steve's attitude changed again to "she is so perfect for what is going on in our lives right now". Steve is SO in love with Emily and I think that is what makes me the most happy about all of this.

So anyways, that is the story of the (sorta) surprise puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment