Thursday, June 21, 2012

Key Rack

My next project is a key rack. I've been looking around for a key rack and neverfound one i really loved. And for anyone whos actually looked at the price of key racks, I better freakin love it for those prices. Steve and I currently keep out keys on MY side table. And lets be frank here. When its just a family of 2 (Emily doesn't drive), its very easy to split everything in half (my side table and his side table. my side of the bed, his side of the bed, my side of the couch, his side of the couch, it goes on and on.)I know it sounds stupid but I am very sick of sharing MY side table with a bunch of keys! Sorry keys you gotta go! I need to put my salad and iced tea down without having to chuch lanyards across the room. so this is what i did:

First thing I did was a i cut a piece of playwood 3" x 11". I think painted it an off white ($.50 at home depot on the mistint cart. this is a sample so its usually $2.50)


Then I printed off my last name on the computer using blocky font so it would be easier to cut out. I actually printed it directly onto my vinyl paper but its black so it wouldn't show so here it is on regular paper.


After that, I cut out my vinyl letters and stuck them on to my dried piece of painted plywood.


Ok now for the fun part. I took my project outside of spray painted the whole thing espresso brown (same color as my furniture)



After about 20 minutes of drying i began to peel off the letters. you want th paint to be dry enough that it won't run but still wet enough that the letters aren't stuck on the wood for life.

This is how it came out.

Not too shabby huh?

Now all i did after that was add the hooks.





If I had to do this over again i would use flat spray paint and smaller hooks. But beggers can't be choosers seeing as though the only thing i bought was the hooks. everything else was laying around my parents house. I will more than liekly add a coat of clear acrylic to protect the paint over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment